Create a grid approximately 30X40 yard grid. Set up a goal on one end of the grid. Assign a goalkeeper, a target player in red, and four defenders in yellow. With the remaining players create two lines at the top of the grid opposite the goal.
Start with two defenders in the middle of the grid about 18 yards from goal. The other two defenders are resting on the outside of the grid on both sidelines.
Start the drill by having the goalkeeper punt a ball to the top two attackers. The two attacker’s join with the target player to form a 3v2 (2v2+1 target player) situation. The attackers attempt to score while the 2 defensive players work together to stop the attack. If the defenders win the ball, they should clear the ball past the line where the additional attackers are standing. If the defenders are successful at clearing the ball the attacking players (minus the target player) should do 10 pushups. If the defender attempts to clear the ball and is not able to clear the ball far enough to cross the line, the attacking team continues their attack.
Once the ball is out of play or deemed dead by the coach, the goalkeeper should punt a new ball to the next group of attackers, and 2 new defenders step in and become defenders.
- Play to the target player quickly without forcing the ball.
- Make sure players without the ball make good supporting runs.
- Attackers should focus on getting into situations to get a shot off quickly.
- Make sure attackers combine passes and build up the attack.
- Make sure the target player is marked and the closest player to the ball pressures the ball.
- Make sure to maintain good defensive positioning (pressure and cover). Don’t get stuck defending side-by –side, or attacked in a straight line.
- Make sure defenders work together as a group of 2.
- Good defensive posture when defending the ball.
Drill Target Ages
- U9, U-9, Under 9, 9 and Under
- U10, U-10, Under 10, 10 and Under
- U11, U-11, Under 11, 11 and Under
- U12, U-12, Under 12, 12 and Under
- U13, U-13, Under 13, 13 and Under
- U14, U-14, Under 14, 14 and Under
- U15, U-15, Under 15, 15 and Under
- U16, U-16, Under 16, 16 and Under
Soccer Drill Focus
Soccer Drill Titled:
2v2+1 (2 vs. 2 plus target attacker)
2v2+1, 2 vs 2 plus 1, soccer, drill, practice, 2 vs 2 plus 1, 2v2, 2 vs 2, soccer training