Build a large grid approximately 40X40 yards and divide your team into 2 even teams, you can adjust the size of the field based on the number of players and their age. Each team should build a 10X10 grid on their attacking end and place one target player in this grid. (see diagram)
Inform the two teams to play against each other and points are scored when a team is able to keep possession and play a flighted ball into their team's Target Player who is inside the 10X10 grid. If they player successfully controls the ball inside the box that team is awarded a point.
- Create a larger box and add a defender with the target player (have the defensive player be somewhat passive at first)
- Make sure players are getting their heads up quickly to find the target player
- Make sure players play the target player early. Make sure there is a clear distinction of playing "kickball" and playing early. Make sure it is a purposely placed pass rather than accidental.
Drill Target Ages
- U13, U-13, Under 13, 13 and Under
- U14, U-14, Under 14, 14 and Under
- U15, U-15, Under 15, 15 and Under
- U16, U-16, Under 16, 16 and Under
- U17 and Older
Soccer Drill Focus
Soccer Drill Titled:
Finding the Target Player
coaching target players, soccer target play, soccer target players