Create a 30X40 grid. Divide the team into even groups of 6 players per group (each group in different color pennies). Number the players 1 through 6; the ball should start with players 1 and 4 to start the warm-up.
Follow the progression below after working on a step for 5-7 minutes. You can spend more or less time on an area depending on the players and players might not be able to complete all of the warm-up. With the players spread out inside the grid randomly and intermingled, perform the following progression:
- Players should pass to the next highest number upon receiving the ball. So #1 passes to #2; #2 passes to #3; #3 passes to #4; … finally #6 passes to #1 and the warm-up continues.
- Next, reverse the pattern where #6 plays to #5, #5 passes to #4; etc.
- Next, players play to odd players if they are odd numbers and even players play to even numbers. For Example, #1 passes to #3, #3 passes to #5, etc… and #2 passes to #4, #4 passes to #6, etc…
- Decrease the number of touches to make the speed of play faster by demanding quicker thought process.
- Limit the verbal communication by limiting the number of words the players can speak. For example, only let then say one word. So player #1 might ask for player #2 by saying “TWO”.
- Lastly, only allow non-verbal communication such as hand clapping, pointing, eye contact, etc.
- Encourage players to think a step ahead and know who the ball is coming from and who the ball is going to at all times.
- Encourage proper passing and receiving skills.
- Movement without the ball is crucial as players attempt to get in triangular shapes.
Soccer Drill Focus
Soccer Drill Titled:
Speed of Play Warm-up
Soccer Speed of Play, Playing with speed, quick thinking